Cheesy-Chili Steam Whistling Goodness
By Marc Surette and Phil Richards, from Liaison College, Brampton, Ontario.
Cook this in a large pot. If using bacon, omit olive oil, and reserve 1 tbsp (15 ml) bacon oil. Cook bacon until crispy and reserve in paper towel to drain. Drain grease from pot leaving about 1 tbsp (15 ml) in pot.
Heat oil in large pan on medium-high. Add beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, breaking up with wooden spoon. Add 1 Package of Chili mix and dissolve slightly. Add green peppers, Jalapeno’s, onion and garlic. Cook until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in Beef, tomatoes and their juices, beer, lime juice, oregano, basil, bay leaves. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partly covered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally until reduced and thickened. Add Chili Powder and Cumin mix to taste. Add Cayenne to taste.
Add beans. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes. Adjust salt. Discard bay leaves.
For more heat add hot sauce to taste in the last 5 minutes.
While chili is cooking make the soup.
Melt butter in a pot. Add flour and stir until smooth and flour is cooked out. Then pour in warm milk a little at a time, while stirring to keep mixture smooth. Add cheddar a bit at a time until you have a smooth creamy mixture. Soup should coat the back of the spoon. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Finally, strain to remove any lumps.
Optional Garnish: Salsa
Combine all salsa ingredients together, and mix well.
Ladle Chili into a bowl, make a heaping pile. Ladle soup slowly into the same bowl being careful not to mix the two too much. Garnish with Homemade Salsa. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 lb (450 g) Lean ground Beef
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Olive oil
- 1/4 pound Bacon (optional But worth it)
- 1/2 diced small green bell pepper
- 1/2 jar roasted red peppers or 1/2 fresh roasted red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 28 oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 4 chopped Jalapenos
- 1 bottle (341 ml) Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lime juice
- 2 tbsp each: chopped oregano leaves, chopped basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package of favourite chili mix
- 1 - tbsp chili powder plus 1- tsp ground cumin mixed
- 1 small can Red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 small can White kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) of Steam Whistle Pilsner
- 1 cup (250 ml) of warm milk
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 1/4 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno finely diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime