East Meets West Stir Fry in Steam Whistle Beer
Submitted by Darin Jaturapatporn, from Liaison College.
"I have been in Toronto for 2.5 years. Since I have been here, cooking has become a part of my life that helps me prevent me from being too homesick. I decided to join Liaison College to improve my creativity and cooking skills.
The last two winters in Toronto were not easy for me. To survive a winter in Canada, I brought the warmth from my home country, Thailand, into my cooking. Eating a spicy dish with a glass of beer made my winter much warmer. I also realized that eastern and western ingredients can be combined to make a great dish, like the quote "when east meets west, we can select the best of both worlds." This idea was the inspiration behind this recipe."
To start the stir fry, marinate both sides of the beef with salt and pepper. Boil bamboo shoots in salted boiling water until bamboo shoots are soft. Brown the beef with olive oil in the pan, then set aside. Lower heat and add ringed red onions to the pan just used to brown the beef, using the leftover juices and oils, sweat red onions until lightly browned. Add all-purposed flour to red onions and stir constantly. Add the first 1/2 cup of beer to onion, stirring until thickened. Add bamboo shoot and beef to the pan. Add rice powder, Chili powder, lime juice and fish sauce. Mix together over low heat. Add another 1/2 cup of beer. Garnish with red bell-pepper, parsley and mint leave
To make the sauce, first boil ketchup and soy sauce together. Then add beer and set aside quickly.
Serve stir fry and sauce with rice.
- 7 oz (200 g) strip loin beef, cut into small pieces
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 5 oz (125 g) red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 5 oz (125 g) bamboo shoot in water
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 red bell-pepper
- 10 mint leaves
- 5 tbsp chunked parsley
- 1 cup (250 ml) Steam Whistle Pilsner, divided into two 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp jasmine rice powder (stir jasmine rice in a low-heated pan until turning yellow, then crush it)
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Steam Whistle