Steam Whistle Brewing shows strong commitment to sustainability
TORONTO, Ont. (April 4, 2018) — The green bottle that contains Steam Whistle’s pure pilsner is more than just a package — it’s also a symbol of the company’s commitment to a sustainable future.
Besides a dedication to crafting the most authentic pilsner brewed in Canada, Steam Whistle Brewing is also working hard to minimize and mitigate the impact it, and its employees, have on the environment. Environmental awareness has been a staple with the company since it was founded 19 years ago, and its efforts have been recognized with several awards and designations, including being named one of Canada’s greenest employers and Clean 50 Companies, the Minister’s Award for Environmental Excellence, the Green Toronto Awards and the Toronto Bike Awards.
“Steam Whistle Brewing is a green company in more ways than one,” says Tim McLaughlin, Steam Whistle’s Vice-President of Marketing. “It is obviously our flagship colour, prominent in our packaging, branding and marketing. But green is more to us than just a colour. We all have a responsibility to care for our planet, and it is a responsibility we take very seriously.”
Among the many green initiatives in place at Steam Whistle Brewing are:
- All-Natural Ingredients — There are few beers in Canada that list their ingredients, and there is a good reason for this. With more than 100 ingredients permitted in beer by Food Canada, most beer ingredient lists look more like a science experiment than they do a refreshing beverage. But every bottle and can of Steam Whistle proudly lists the four ingredients it uses to craft an all-natural, fresh pilsner — pure spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast, all of which are GMO-free.
- A Green Bottle that is Really Green — Steam Whistle’s unique green bottle can be re-used up to 45 times, about three times the industry standard. And by painting the logo on the bottle, it saves trees by reducing paper use and eliminates ink, varnish and glue from contaminating the water drained from Steam Whistle’s bottle washer.
- Strong Commitment to Recycling — Every element of Steam Whistle’s packaging is recycled — the cardboard cartons, glass, old bottle caps, shrink wrap, cans and even the new purity seal foil top you will find atop all cans of Steam Whistle. Even the “spent grain” byproduct of the brewing process is used by Ontario farmers as animal feed.
- Clean, Renewable Power — Steam Whistle is a bullfrogpowered® brewery, sourcing power from wind and low-impact hydro generators that meet or exceed the federal government's standards for renewable electricity. All of the electricity used at the brewery comes from renewable sources.
- Cleaner Fuel — Canada Clean Fuels has been supplying Steam Whistle's truck fleet with B20 Bio Fuel since late. Containing soya fuel and recycled restaurant oil, it powers the trucks hauling Steam Whistle’s brew to bars and restaurants across the province.
- Natural Climate Control — There are no conventional air conditioners in Steam Whistle’s historic roundhouse brewery. Instead, it has opted to use Enwave’s Deep Lake Water Cooling. Icy cold water drawn from Lake Ontario through intake pipes passes through Steam Whistle — giving off a cool chill — before it continues on to Toronto household taps. This initiative alone avoids 79 tonnes of carbon dioxide being poured into the atmosphere, and reduces Steam Whistle’s electricity use by the equivalent of seven average homes.
- Energy Efficiency — Steam Whistle’s state-of-the-art Brewhouse reduces its wastewater output by 33 per cent, while also capturing steam from the brewing process to serve all of the hot water needs at the brewery. It is also systematically adopting energy-efficient fixtures and bulbs as old fixtures burn out and as it expands its facilities to include more event space and a traditional German-inspired Biergärten.
- Clean Air Commuting — Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Steam Whistle is easily reached via an extensive network of bicycle routes and paths. As such, it provides showers, towel service and covered bike racks for all staff. Steam Whistle has subsequently been named a Bicycle Friendly Business by the Share the Road Cycling Coalition and is a recipient of a Toronto Bike Award.
Join the conversation on Twitter @SteamWhistle, Instagram @SteamWhistleBrewing and Facebook at /SteamWhistle using the hashtag #WhatsInYourBeer.
About Steam Whistle Brewing:
Steam Whistle Brewing remains true to the old-world method of brewing pilsner. Its Czech Brewmaster ensures each batch is crafted flawlessly following the Bavarian Purity Act of 1516 to craft a pilsner that is true to what pilsner should be: crisp, golden and well-balanced. One of Canada’s leading independent craft breweries, Steam Whistle is made with only four ingredients and no additives or preservatives. Steam Whistle’s Bohemian-style pilsner is characterized by a floral hoppy aroma, a sweet, full malty character that is balanced by a pleasant bitterness and a clean, crisp finish.