Skip to main content
- On an annual canoe trip of former employees of The Upper Canada Brewing Company, from the days before it was purchased by Sleeman Brewing and shut down, three friends - Cam Heaps, Greg Taylor and Greg Cromwell - talked about returning to the business they loved and DREAMED about opening up their own brewery one day.
- In August of that year, the three friends INCORPORATED an entity title "Three Fired Guys" Brewing, each put in some seed money and started to write the business plan for their future brewery.
- On March 22, the INAUGURAL BOTTLES of Steam Whistle Pilsner roll off the production line and are shipped to Beer Stores and LCBO outlets in the Greater Toronto area.
- September of that year, resurrecting a 1950’s style of carton, the Brewery launches SUITCASE 12 PACKS of Steam Whistle Pilsner into the Ontario Market. In the same year, Steam Whistle received a Packaging Award for this innovative case design.
- To celebrate the crimp style crown and its superior seal, Steam Whistle Introduces an annual free VINTAGE BOTTLE OPENER as in-case promotion, just in time for May 2-4 weekend.
- In April, the brewery celebrates the first shipment of Steam Whistle Pilsner into Alberta
- Steam Whistle Brewing is shortlisted as one of CANADA’S TOP 100 EMPLOYERS, recognizing their Good Beer Folks work environment.
- Steam Whistle's iconic box hats are introduced at the Toronto Festival of Beer and festival-participants go crazy for them.
- Steam Whistle launches 500ML CANS for the Ontario Market.
- To celebrate this momentous occasion, the brewery throws a large impromptu party on the front patio for friends and family to come and celebrate the launch –this party is unofficially named Can-arama.
- In October, Cam Heaps and Greg Taylor win the ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR AWARD at the annual Ernst and Young gala, recognizing Steam Whistle Brewing’s success in the Consumer Products Category.
- In January, Steam Whistle Brewing receives their license and begins selling beer in BRITISH COLUMBIA on a test basis.
- In April, Steam Whistle Brewing is named one of CANADA’S GREENEST EMPLOYERS, recognizing our culture of environmental awareness and our exceptional earth-friendly initiatives.
- The 5 Year Service Trip to Munich, kicks off! Good Beer Folks who work for the company for 5 years are awarded with a trip to Munich, Germany for Oktoberfest
- In January, Steam Whistle completes its distribution across prairies and is listed in Saskatchewan.
- Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, the Leprechaun Boot promotion is launched for pubs and restaurants. Customers can order the boot and once finished, can take it home with them.
- Steam Whistle celebrates the inaugural Oktoberfest at the brewery - Steins, lederhosen and pretzels for everyone.
- In the month of May, the brewery celebrates its expansion east with its first shipment to PEI.
- In April of 2015, Nova Scotia continues the east coast trend and begins ordering Steam Whistle.
- The following month, Steam Whistle begins shipping to Newfoundland.
- The Milk Jug promotion is launched for pubs and restaurants and still exists to this day at the Brewery. If you order a Milk Jug to enjoy at the brewery, you can take it home with you.
- In January, beer begins shipping to New Brunswick, making Steam Whistle available across the Maritimes.
- Steam Whistle purchases the facility at Evans Avenue to expand the growing brewing operation.
- Inspired by Gord Downie’s legacy and his push to move reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples forward, Steam Whistle partners with the Downie Wenjack Fund and for the month of February promises to donate 50% of all draft profits from across Canada to the foundation.
- Steam Whistle partners with The Hudson’s Bay to develop Hudson’s Bay X Steam Whistle merchandise. The 2017 Retro Opener dawned the iconic green, white, yellow, red and blue
- For the first time in 18 years, Steam Whistle undergoes a brand refresh.
- After a long time coming, the first bottle koozies are designed and sold online and in store.
- Steam Whistle partners with Riedel to design a unique and stylish crystal glass for the Holiday Gift Pack
- In April, Steam Whistle Brewing partners with American Craft Brewer, New Belgium to brew and distribute the iconic Amber Ale, Fat Tire, to Canadians in Ontario, British Columbia and the Prairies.
- In the month of May, Steam Whistle launches its very first new beer in 19 years – Steam Whistle Pale Ale, in the blue can.
- The Steam Whistle Biergarten opens its doors in May, serving up an authentic German menu, designed by the Food Dudes.
- In April, Steam Whistle Craft Brewing launches the third beer to join the Steam Whistle portfolio, Steam Whistle Session Lager.
- In May, Steam Whistle Craft Brewing launches the first ever seasonal product just in time for summer, Steam Whistle Lemon Shandy.
- In May, the mix pack with all three Steam Whistle beers is available at the LCBO.