How long have you been a part of the Steam Whistle/GBF family?
A little over 11 years
What is your position at Steam Whistle?
Steam Whistle's Creative Director
Can you describe your role?
I work closely with Marketing & Sales (and the rest of the Creative Team) to ensure all Steam Whistle brands, initiatives, packs and promotions are tip-top visually while staying true and in line with brands essence.
What's your favourite part about being the Creative Director?
Telling people what to do - just kidding! Supporting my team, ensuring they have the tools needed to succeed and knowing that our day to day efforts really do affect the success of the company... That and drinking at my desk.
If you had to choose, what would be your favourite aspect about working at Steam Whistle?
The range of projects. We work on everything from packaging to clothing to branding to really fun custom one-off promos.The range really keeps the job exciting, no two days are the same. We've had the pleasure of partnering with brands like Riedel, HBC and KWAY (to name a few), again great examples of how exciting an in-house role can be. Of course the people "GBF"s play a pretty important role too... All that and drinking at my desk.
You and your team of designers have been the main driving force behind the latest brand refresh and the brand extension of Steam Whistle Pale Ale -what was the most exciting part of those two processes?
I consider myself very lucky to have been given the opportunity to work with such incredibly talented designers and innovative marketers. This was a great example of collaboration, Creative & Marketing were very much on the same page working together for one shared vision. I would be out of my damn mind not to credit the amazing & talented Dan Perrella (who really was a driving force behind our refresh), Ashley Ray and Chanel Sanci, all three played key roles from vision, concept, direction and design on both projects.
What is a Steam Whistle initiative that means a lot to you?
An initiative that really means a lot to me would be drinking at our desks - JK. Our Roundhouse Craft Beer Festivals (summer & winter). The idea came out of an off-site strategy session (with beers in hand of course) we had years ago. The reason it means so much to me is that it's a great example of how Steam Whistle has been so successful - listening to staff and allowing good ideas to be heard. Giving staff an opportunity to share, collaborate and contribute.
Is it true when people say the Steam Whistle culture is contagious?
It's truly a place unlike any other, for that reason we attract interesting people that make the culture alluring and contagious... but if by contagious you mean you'll need a pill to clear it up after you leave... then yes, I would say that is accurate.
Where is your favourite place to enjoy a Steam Whistle?
Parking lot, just behind the water treatment plant in Etobicoke, GREAT little place to spend a Tuesday evening. In all honesty, I have a PRETTY robust social life, totally have loads of friends (you just don't know them because they go to another school)... so for that reason I would say drinking at my desk.
What is one word you would use to describe your work experience with Steam Whistle?
Sounds of Steam Whistle Spotify
- What song gets you on the dance floor? – Burning Down the House: Talking Heads
- What song reminds you of your youth? – Having an Average Weekend: Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
- What’s a song that was played at your first concert? – Hey: Pixies
- What’s your favourite cover? – Still in Love: Cat Power – it’s a cover of an old Hank Williams song
- A guilty pleasure? – Mandolin Wind: Rod Stewart
- It’s Friday night, your friends are over getting ready to go out, what’s your pre-game song? – Goodbye Horses: Q Lazzarus (we love it, it comes out at every party, night out, cottage trip, road trip etc.)
- A song you know every word to? – How soon is now: The Smiths
- What song is on the highest rotation for you right now? – A Nervous Tic Motion of a Head to the Left: Andrew Bird
- What would be the intro music for the movie adaption of your life story? – Juniors place: Junior Kimbrough
Posted on September 27 2019,