October 13, 2021
We took some time to catch up with long-time Steam Whistle employee, Vince Hartley, Driver, recently, and this is what he told us about his time as part of the Good Beer Folks family.
How long have you been a part of the Steam Whistle/GBF family?
It’s amazing how quickly you can become the old guy. I’m the second longest-serving staff member at just over 18 years.
What is your position at Steam Whistle?
I have been a driver in our distribution department since my first day.
Can you describe your role?
I bring the beer to the people. It’s noble work and secures a place in heaven for me. I deliver to Beer Stores, LCBO’s and licensees in various parts of Southern Ontario.
What’s one of your favourite milestones at Steam Whistle that you’ve been a part of?
I’m gonna make this all about me and go with the milestone of making it to 18 years of employment without taking a sick day.
Is there a piece of Steam Whistle history that makes you extremely proud to work here?
I’m gonna go with a social rather than professional accomplishment. At a basement bar in Prague, I was part of a team of Steam Whistle staff that not only beat but destroyed all other competitors. Including beer-producing nations such as Germany and the Czech Republic. If I recall correctly, there was also a team comprised of Aussie football players. Take that last part with a grain of salt as my memory is somewhat hazy on the matter.
If you had to choose, what would be your favourite aspect of working at Steam Whistle?
My specific line of work allows me the autonomy to manage myself to some degree. Start and end times to shifts aren’t set in stone, you can do your workday in the order of your choosing and salaried staff can work at their own pace within reason.
Is it true when people say the Steam Whistle culture is contagious?
Highly contagious. The novelty of working at Steam Whistle has not been lost on me after all these years. It’s a great industry to work in and we’re the best of the best.
Where is your favourite place to enjoy a Steam Whistle?
It’s gotta be my backyard. On any weekend, you can find a variety of current and former GBF’s enjoying MANY Steam Whistles.
Sounds of Steam Whistle Spotify Playlist
- What song gets you on the dance floor? Deee-Light – Groove is in the Heart
- What song reminds you of your youth? Nelly – Hot in Herre
- What song was played at your first concert? Anything Skid Row
- What’s your favourite cover song? – This should be everyone’s favourite cover: Whitney’s “I Will Always Love You”
- A guilty pleasure? Well…since I just let the cat out of the bag, all my guilty pleasures are divas. Whitney, Celine, Adele etc.
- It’s Friday night, your friends are over getting ready to go out, what’s your pre-game song? – This Friday I’ll be sure to make it “Groove is in the Heart” or “ Hot in Herre”
- Go-to karaoke song – My karaoke roster is always expanding but the one that brings the house down has long been Billy Idol’s Rebel Yell.
- What song is on your highest rotation right now? – I’m stuck in a rut of Chris Cornell’s acoustic cover songs. He actually also does a cover of “I Will Always Love You”
Most Popular Posts
For a limited time in British Columbia order our beer to get a complimentary 24 oz glass.
You may have noticed these signs popping up in some of Canada’s major cities this summer. This is our most recent ad campaign, returning to ...
Grilling and beer is like peanut butter and chocolate, they’re each good separately, but together they’re pure magic.